Earlier this week the White House announced the latest recipients of the National Medal of Science and The National Medal of Technology and Innovation. The National Medal of Science has been around since 1959 and is administered by the National Science Foundation. The National Medal of Technology and Innovation was first awarded in 1980 and is administered for the White House by the Patent and Trademark Office. The recipients will be recognized early next year in a White House ceremony.
As is often the case, most, if not all of those recognized are not household names. The closest that come are still not recognizable by the general public. Dr. Shirley Ann Jackson, President of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and current member of the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST), and Dr. Geraldine Richmond, who is the current President of AAAS, a member of the National Science Board, and has served as a Science Envoy at the Department of State.
Here is the full list of this year’s recipients. Congratulations.
National Medal of Science
- Dr. Armand Paul Alivisatos, University of California and Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, CA
- Dr. Michael Artin, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, MA
- Dr. Albert Bandura, Stanford University, CA
- Dr. Stanley Falkow, Stanford University School of Medicine, CA
- Dr. Shirley Ann Jackson, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, NY
- Dr. Rakesh K. Jain, Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital, MA
- Dr. Mary-Claire King, University of Washington, WA
- Dr. Simon Levin, Princeton University, NJ
- Dr. Geraldine Richmond, University of Oregon, OR
National Medal of Technology and Innovation
- Dr. Joseph DeSimone, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina State University, and Carbon3D, CA
- Dr. Robert Fischell, University of Maryland at College Park, MD
- Dr. Arthur Gossard, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA
- Dr. Nancy Ho, Green Tech America, Inc. and Purdue University, IN
- Dr. Chenming Hu, University of California, Berkeley, CA
- Dr. Mark Humayun, University of Southern California, CA
- Dr. Cato T. Laurencin, University of Connecticut, CT
- Dr. Jonathan Rothberg, 4catalyzer Corporation and Yale School of Medicine, CT